Guinness World Records today confirmed that Grand Theft Auto V has broken seven world records.
The critically acclaimed open-world game from Rockstar North has beaten records previously held by the likes of Call Of Duty: Black Ops, The Avengers and Avatar.
Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, had this to say: “GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we’re thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books. Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I’m also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”
The full list of records set by GTA V is as follows:
1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
In some less positive news, GTA V’s multiplayer component, GTA Online, launched last week to a host of problems. Many players have been unable to login while those who have have seen their progress wiped while playing. The game has received several patches but currently many of the problems still persist.